Archaeological News: Scientists Finally Pinpoint the Pathogen That Caused the Irish Potato Famine -
For nearly 150 years, starting in the late 17th century, millions of people living in Ireland subsisted largely off one crop: the potato. Then, in 1845, farmers noticed that their potato plants’ leaves were covered in mysterious dark splotches. When they pulled potatoes from the ground, most were shrunken, mushy and inedible. The blight spread alarmingly quickly, cutting yields from that year’s harvest in half. By 1846, harvest from potato farms had dropped to one quarter of its original size.
The disease—along with a political system that required Ireland to export large amounts of corn, dairy and meat to England—led to widespread famine, and nearly all of the few potatoes available were eaten, causing shortages of seed potatoes that ensured starvation would continue for nearly a decade. Ultimately, over one million people died, and another million emigrated to escape the disaster, causing Ireland’s population to fall by roughly 25 percent; the island has still not reached its pre-famine population levels today. Read more.
TrashTalk - Destroy: Let's do a little comparison -
- Rape jokes
- Eating disorder jokes
- Pedophilia jokes
- Racist jokes
- Molestation jokes
- Self harm jokes
King of the Hill
- Body positive
- No rape jokes, ever.
- No eating disorder jokes, ever.
- No pedophilia, because…
Oh, Hydrogen Peroxide. You do so many things. You deserve more attention.
Here’s a list of the many benefits of Hydrogen Peroxide!
1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. No more canker sores and your teeth will be whiter without expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash. (Small print says mouth wash and gargle right on the bottle).
2. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of “Peroxide” to keep them free of germs.
3. Clean your counters with peroxide to kill germs and leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray it on the counters.
4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.
5. One man reports, “I had a fungus on my feet for years - until I sprayed a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and let dry. All gone.”
6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to ten minutes several times a day. A nurse reports that she has seen gangrene that would not heal with any medicine, but was healed by soaking in peroxide.
7. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system like bleach or most other disinfectants will.
8. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold, or plugged sinuses. It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes then blow your nose into a tissue.
9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for ten minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.
10. If you like a natural look to your hair, spray the 50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You will not have the peroxide burnt blonde hair like the hair dye packages, but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown, reddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually so it’s not a drastic change.
11. Put half of a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help rid boils, fungus, or other skin infections.
12. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there are protein stains on clothing, pour it directly on the spot, let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with water. Repeat if necessary.
13. I use peroxide to clean my mirrors with, and there is no smearing which is why I love it so much for this.
14. Use 3% Hydrogen peroxide for removing blood stains – especially if they are fairly fresh. Pour directly on the soiled spot, let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary. It is a great bleaching agent for stubborn stains on white clothes. Combine ½ c. hydrogen peroxide and 1 t. ammonia for a great stain removal combination.
15. Use hydrogen peroxide to bleach delicate items such as wool or wool blends. Soak them overnight in a solution of one part 3% hydrogen peroxide to eight parts cold water. Launder according to care instructions.
*Also, if you have a dog that you need to get to vomit (like if they ate a bunch of chocolate), make them swallow hydrogen peroxide. Give it to them a few teaspoons at a time.*
just putting this here
And usually just .99!
all of this. peroxide is underrated
As a habitual dental hygiene obsesser, I approve this post :-)
Also it helps clean off animal bones. Just soak them in H2O2 for a while and they’ll be easier to clean. Bonus: they also turn really white.
If you get blood on your clothing (especially, say, if your period comes early or something) then peroxide removes it almost perfectly!
Also a 1:1:1 mixture of peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and water will clean and dry your ears, helping to cure and prevent ear infections.
It cleans jewelry like a charm, too.
(Source: thehandmadeforest, via snarky-invisiblemoose)
This is how Republicans blocked a vote to confirm the new EPA chief. Not a single one showed up.
Remember this as you get ready to vote in the 2014 midterm elections: it’s not just that Republicans are wrong on virtually every policy position. It’s not just that Republicans are more interested in their personal hatred of President Obama than dealing with the nation’s problems. It’s not even just that Republicans wish to do harm to the economy (see all the debt ceiling messes and the sequester) than do anything that might be perceived as helping the President.
At the end of the day, it all boils down to one simple fact: the Republicans in Congress are not even working. They’re not even bothering to act like they’re doing their jobs.
What would happen to you or me if we tried this? That’s right, we’d get fired. So come 2014, here’s our chance to fire the Republicans.